Woman, 23, shot at YMCA as witnesses say gunman blasted ‘four times through the door’

A woman has been shot at a YMCA housing single mothers after a gunman “blasted through the door”.

The 23-year-old’s condition is not thought to be life threatening after the incident at Hanwell YMCA in west London.

Emergency services dashed to the scene after a firearm was discharged on Monday evening at around 7pm, with an ambulance taking a woman with gunshot wounds to hospital.

There has been a large armed police presence in the area since the incident and residents of the YMCA have reported being told to stay in the rooms while officers investigated the scene and took statements.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement on Monday night: “At 18:58hrs on Monday, 26 September police were called to Bordars Road, Hanwell following reports of a firearms discharge.

“Officers attended with the London Ambulance Service and found a 23-year-old woman with gunshot wounds. She has been taken to hospital, her condition is not life threatening.

“An investigation is under way. Anyone with information should call 101 giving the reference 6219/26SEP.

“Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.”

One witness said the gunman had fired several shots as he “blasted four times through the door”.

London Ambulance Service said: ““We were called yesterday (Monday) at 7.03pm to reports of an incident in Bordars Road, Hanwell.

“We sent a number of resources including an ambulance, an incident response officer and London’s air ambulance.

“We treated a person at the scene before taking them a London major trauma centre as a priority.”

A lady who lives inside the YMCA told MyLondon : “People inside the YMCA had to stay in their rooms; it was traumatic and terrifying and no-one told them anything until armed police arrived.

“I am currently in hospital and cannot go back to my accommodation as I’m petrified of the risk of being harmed.”

Another resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “I had literally not long got in from the shops when I heard the gun shots go off and a scream.

“I did hear a guy in the outside bit of the mother and baby unit side downstairs after the shooting but thought it was a resident but my downstairs neighbour said the man came to her back door asking for her to let him in.

“The next thing I know armed police came and was all around the building not letting anyone in or out and the girl was taken by an Ambulance.”

“There were shots fired four times through the glass doors of the YMCA,” added another resident. “My friend left to see the commotion and she saw bullet holes through the glass door and she opened the exit door and someone told her to get back inside (it wasn’t a staff member).

“She went back inside for 10 minutes, called the police. She then went back to see what happening and saw a girl on her back, there was blood on the desk and the floor and blood on her.

“The staff then came out and told everyone to go back to their rooms.

“Armed police came and knocked her door and said to stay put but no one gave them any update until they came out to make a statement. She was then told she could leave after giving a statement around 10.16pm.”